Thursday, August 17, 2017

Nancy Drew : Age 11

Nancy Drew series by Carolyn Keene

My sister is a few years older than me. When I was born, she was reading her way through the Nancy Drew mystery series. She asked our parents to name me Nancy, and that's how I got my first name! My sister had a row of Nancy Drew books in the bedroom we shared, and when I was in 3rd or 4th grade I started reading my way through them. I liked the adventure of trying to solve each mystery before Nancy Drew did. I liked discovering the pattern of the stories after I had read a few. I liked reading about the same familiar characters in each book. Although, I must admit, I skipped over the descriptions of clothing. I was a farm girl and couldn't imagine wearing pearls and sweater sets while climbing winding staircases. I had read most of the book series before the Nancy Drew t.v. series started. The actors in the t.v. series didn't look like the characters I imagined, and I found I liked the books better. I still feel that way when I see a movie based on a book. I like imagining the scenes and characters in my mind, and books give so much more detail than movies!

No comments:

Post a Comment